ReefMonkey Forum Index
10g Build Log
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ReefMonkey Forum Index -> Equipment/Tank Setup Including DIY projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: 10g Build Log Reply with quote

Well, since RM ate my other thread, I'll recap.

Here is mah tank:

Here's my ghetto fuge:

and my cheeseball fuge light:

We skip the pics of my RO/DI setup. I didn't take pictures of the hammer-chisel treatment I gave some liverock.

Now, speaking of liverock: I ran all over the Upstate of SC today looking for rock. I bought the last 6 pounds at Chuck's place, tried over at Aquatect's (no dice, the tank was broken down so they could move it out front), and finally found 9 pounds at Eric's Tropical Pets in Greenwood; they had it leftover from an order back in Sept. It didn't really enjoy the trip all the way back to Belton, but it wasn't a total loss - espeecially since it was covered in life to begin with. Had to bust some up with a chisel, but that happens in a Nano. Alrighty, without further ado, I present: My first Full Tank Shot. <cue applause>

It looks like I had some dieback, but that's going to happen when you haul liverock for 45 minutes on a 90-degree afternoon (in the cab of a truck w/ busted A/C Embarassed ). I scrubbed off what I could. On the plus side, there are a couple of tube worms, one of which is a cool orange color and is front-and-center. I took a pic while the lights were on, but it didn't come out all that well. Other hitchikers include one small nassarius-like snail and something that looks clam-ish that spewed something white up into the current from my powerhead. I can't get a good shot of it, but I'll try again later.
Nuhtty
Gorilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to get more die off than that, too. The corralline might bleach, but it will come back.

It looks really good. I especially like the arch.

What are your stocking plans?
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NUHTTY wrote:
You are going to get more die off than that, too. The corralline might bleach, but it will come back.

It looks really good. I especially like the arch.

What are your stocking plans?

LPS, zoas, and softies, w/ a percula clown & shrimp/goby pair.

You can't really tell from that picture, but there's another arch on the left side, coming from back to front. I may have to rearrange that though, since the front rock is a bit too close to the glass.

Should I be feeding anything for all these featherdusters? It seems every time I look there's a new one sticking out of the rock.
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: To skim, or not to skim: that is the question. Reply with quote

Well, the title pretty much sums it up. Should I get a skimmer for this little guy? I know that, in theory at least, a skimmer isn't necessary for a tank this size, as long as I keep up with my water changes... but I'm not looking for the bare minimum, I want "least likely to crash." I already change the water in my 29 FW every other week, so I'm no stranger to water changes on a schedule. It just seems like a better idea to skim AND do water changes, no?

If I DO get a skimmer, what would be the best plan: a Surface Skimmer that hooks into my fuge intake, or an honest-to-God Nano-sized protein skimmer? The way I look at it, the price, and the difference between the two, means very little in the long run if they help keep my tank's inhabitants alive. Anyone out there got an opinion? (other than "jeez this guy's a pain in the butt..." Wink )
tecofish
Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a tank that size, Id just stuff the fuge with cheato and call it good. Its way to easy to mix up a 5 gal bucket of water and do a change once a week. If it looks like water quality is suffering, you could add one later.
Hoggn
Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look'n good!
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecofish wrote:
For a tank that size, Id just stuff the fuge with cheato and call it good. Its way to easy to mix up a 5 gal bucket of water and do a change once a week. If it looks like water quality is suffering, you could add one later.

Got the chaeto part covered (thanks again Arime!); thanks for your advice. I'll just wait and see what happens.

Hogg'n wrote:
look'n good!

Thanks! Dance

(by the way: my wife LOVES your avatar pic. Laugh )
tecofish
Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sense investing in a skimmer unless you really need one.

[/quote]

Thanks! Dance

(by the way: my wife LOVES your avatar pic. Laugh )[/quote]

Yea, thats Teco, she's got a mouth on her Wink
Nuhtty
Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you do reg water changes and keep an eye on it you will be fine, especially if you dont plan on very sensitive stuff. Zoas actually do well in high nutrient water...every see Zoas in a seahorse tank? HUGE

Also, a skimmer in a 10g can actually have an impact on the salinity...skimming too much wet material can suck salt out as well. Too risky in a 10g IMO. And not worth it.
Sugar Magnolia
Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others, no skimmer needed. Weekly 10-20% water changes will keep your water quality high. Heck, you could even go so far as to do weekly 100% water changes like Calfo does if the mood strikes you.
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, THAT was a wierd-looking creature.

I put my shoes on in front of my tank this morning - the fuge light bleeds over enough to see the tank fairly well. I look up at the rock in the top center, and see one of these (melev's pic) sweeping across the rock. It must have seen me move my foot, because it retracted before I could get a pic of it. (Thankfully, I found an ID.) It's just fun to see something moving in there besides the featherdusters!
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
I agree with the others, no skimmer needed. Weekly 10-20% water changes will keep your water quality high. Heck, you could even go so far as to do weekly 100% water changes like Calfo does if the mood strikes you.

Heh, the mood may never strike me... but I'll keep it in mind. Smile I have a nice clean gallon jug (marked as such so the wife won't make it disappear) under the tank. I think that oughta do. Wink
danferd2002
Gibbon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the metal clip of the light dosent touch the water, other than that it looks great
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danferd2002 wrote:
make sure the metal clip of the light dosent touch the water, other than that it looks great

No problem - it has a rubber "foot" on it Smile

And thanks! Smile
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Tonight's Tank Parameters Reply with quote

4 days after "feet wet"... ran the whole battery of tests in my Hagen Master Test Kit. (Don't laugh, it's a leftover from freshwater, I got it in Sept-Oct b/c I had some unexplained fish deaths - turned out to be a parasite of some sort.)

Salinity: 1.025
NH3: < 0.1ppm (darn color chart tests. 0 is light light green. 0.1 is light green. It was somewhere in between.)
ph: 8.5 (I HATE my pH test. it's either right on 8.5... or it's 12. I'm not sure. Neutral)
kh: 125-130ppm (almost changed at drop 12, drop 13 went mucho yellow.)
Ca: >500 ppm (Got to 50 friggin' drops and quit, still no color change. No precipitation's goin' on, though - it'll come down as the coralline comes back, I'd imagine.)
PO4: 0.5ppm
NO3: 0ppm

So, the question is, did my cycle happen so fast I missed it? There was SLIGHTLY more NH4 last night, but not by very much. This rock was pretty well cured, although I thought the coralline bleaching would've caused SOME sort of cycle. I guess I could go with the ol' "raw shrimp in the tank" test and see what happens...
TimmyG
Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOOKING GOOOODD
I like nanos but I neglect my tank too much to get away with that.
I'd give it a week or two just to be on the safe side.
But when you are ready for frags, just LMK.
What are you planning on keeping in it?
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPS and Zoas, mainly, and a couple of softies; a torch/hammer/frogspawn (havent decided which one yet), a couple blastos, some rics and shrooms, mebbe a platygyra if I can find one small enough, and a decent little zoo farm. That should crowd it up quite nicely, I'd say. Smile I may do something with the big aragocrete rock in the back, it's taking up too much real estate right now. I think I hear my hammer and chisel calling...

Which reminds me: last week when I was breaking up the biggest rock out in the carport, my wife came out to see what the noise was about. When she saw me with the chisel wedged into the rock, she yelled "You're gonna kill it!!!" ... ... I had to explain that live rock didn't really mean live rock. Laugh
tecofish
Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tests may be suspect. Id look into getting the PO4 down to undetectable to help cut off any algea blooms. Also with such a high Ca your alk is going to be very low, this could cause problems for corals later on. Salifert makes some great tests although they are a bit spendy. Keep an eye on the nitrates, you didnt list an ammonia # so Im guessing its zero.

Tank looks great so far.
Gawain1974
Zoo Keeper / Supporter
Zoo Keeper / Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. What type of livestock are you planning on keeping? You mentioned in your other thread that you were planning on a bigger tank someday. Would it be possible to one day plumb this tank into a larger system? Skimming isn't really necessary for a nano if you keep up with regular maintenance, but it'd be awesome if you could later plumb this baby into a larger system (your water would get skimmed, and the larger water volume would mean a more stable system).
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teco:
The phosphates should come down pretty much on their own, now that I've got some chaeto in the fuge. (Right?) The Ca test does kinda raise an eyebrow, I'm going to redo it tonight and see if that number is more user error than anything else. (Me? Err? Never! Razz) As it is, I'm not rushing out to the LFS just yet, patience being a virtue and all that. (And God knows I could use a virtue or two to make up for some of my vices! Smile)

Les:
LPS/Softy, Perc clown, shrimp/goby pair. (At least, that's the plan today. Ask again tomorrow, and I may have changed my mind! Razz) I was actually thinking about the 'later date' stuff yesterday; I'm going to set up a 120 in the living room, (please) w/ a 100g stock tank sump in the 'tank room' - a closet of sorts off the carport. I'm sure I could pipe the water to the other end of the house for the nano, especially since it won't need really high flow.
(Which would be coooooooool. Cool )
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Hitchiker ID time! Reply with quote

Ya know, I now know why newbies post so many "what is THIS thing" threads... when all you have is live rock, anything that moves is something to obssess over! Laugh I got a pic of my "whazzat" snail, but I still can't get a good shot of anything else interesting. So... whazzat? Smile

snail.jpg
 Description:
Whazzat?
 Filesize:  71.67 KB
 Viewed:  20596 Time(s)

snail.jpg

jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bueller? Bueller?

Well, I'll talk to myself. (I usually do, anyway.) Tonight's measurements were:

Salinity: 1.026
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
ph: 8.5
kh: 110 ppm
Ca: 560 ppm (that number's actually DOWN a bit, too!)
PO4: 0

pH is a bit high for my taste, but I still need to get some litmus paper or something intead of this crap drip test. kH is down a bit, probably b/c of the topoff water I added last night - the water's pretty soft here. (That would explain it, right?)

Had a diatom bloom yesterday, so there's brown crud on the glass and sand. The pod population on my liverock is taking off - there's always a couple running around, eating... whatever they eat; the chaeto in the fuge is packed up with 'em too. The coralline on my 'rock of death' is slowly purpling back up, I got a new tube worm peeking out every time I look, and there's something that I think is a bristle worm in one of the lower rocks... I only saw him once, for a second, in the dark. The Bonellid Echiuran Worm is out every time the lights go out, cleaning detrius off the rock. ...I need to get myself a snail or two for these darn diatoms, right?

Oh... and some Joe's Juice. I found a &$#!* aiptaisa.
tecofish
Gorilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Yes your Ca is way up there and your alk is low. Are you adding anything for Ca or Alk? Anything like Purple Up? You should probably stop all additives and just use your salt mix til things stabilize, most are pretty ballanced for FOWLR. What kind of salt mix are you using? That is an unnaturally high Ca but your low alk is telling me its probably right. PH is ok at 8.5, a little high but I woudnt sweat it as long as it doesnt fluctuate, Im hoping that number was taken after the lights were on for a while. Those color strips are really bad and pretty inaccurate. Investing in quality tests will take alot of the doubt out of the readings, and the freshwater tests dont always work for saltwater.
Not much will chow diatomes, your best off to just suck it out with waterchanges and not worry too much, its what every new tank goes through and will eventually pass as more bennificial algea take over. You might see some cyano also, but its to be expected. Are you using RODI water to top off with? Highly recomended.
Anyway, just be patient and give it some time and regular waterchanges only, you'll get over the new tank syndrome in no time.
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not dosing anything. I'm using Oceanic's salt mix, I think it's a bit high in Ca (now that I look into it, sheesh). I guess the coralline is pulling some of it out, as it was even higher Wed. night.
So no excuses to go buy stuff yet, eh? Wink Ah well, no worries - there's an ever-increasing number of pods running around to keep me entertained for now. I'm set up w/ RODI, one trashcan for topoff and one trashcan for waterchange. (44g each - I'm buying infrastructure suited for the 120 Wink )

Patience. Bah. This is why I'm no good at Bonsai, too... trees grow too slow. Smile
jlawson382
Orangutan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm weak.

Friday night, everthing checked out roses, and my mini-magfloat came in from DrsFosterandSmith (along w/ a float valve for the RODI stuff, some tubing, and a bit of locline I'm going to be experimenting with). I scraped the crap off of the glass, but there were the beginnings of a hair algae outbreak on the rocks... so I broke down and got some inverts on Saturday. (So much for patience. Embarassed) So, one astrea, one cerith, two margaritas, two small hermits and 48 hours later, everything still tests the same (as of last night) and the algae is on the retreat. (And there's something to watch crawl around now, which greatly increases the 'wife approval factor'. Razz) There was a nassarius in the seed sand Arime gave me as well, so I think that for now, everything's good to go for another week or two of waterchanges and testing.

On another note: what makes audible clicking noises after dark and lives in liverock? I don't think it's a mantis or pistol, as if there were one large enough to make the clicks I would have seen it by now (I spend an inordinate amount of time watching the pods crawl around Wink ). Of course, there's still the matter of that unid'ed worm I've only seen once...

Man, this is much more interesting than freshwater. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ReefMonkey Forum Index -> Equipment/Tank Setup Including DIY projects
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next