ReefMonkey Forum Index
the good news and the bad news!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tahoe Ocean
Snow Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: the good news and the bad news! Reply with quote

My brother asked me to post for him:

He bought a 3-MDQ-SC little giant pump through Foster & Smith online. He installed it and within 24 hours it began to click and clatter so loudly that when he called me, I heard it clearly over the phone and was alarmed. He burped the system and checked the pump repeatedly with no results. He then emailed the manufacturer of the pump: Franklin Electric Technical Support.
The company's response was RUDE! They told him that the pump was rated to a decible level "which is equivalent to a vacuum cleaner, hair dryer or noisy restaurant and unfortunately there is nothing you can do about this noise." They basically told him tough nuggies!
I suggested he try F&S and when he called them, he got a wonderful customer service rep who heard the noise of the pump over the phone. She exclaimed "That's not right." Then she was even more aplogetic when he read her the email response. Foster & Smith is making it right! They are sending him a new pump from a different manufacturer and not the horrible "Little Giant Pump" seen in the link below.

Good news: Foster & Smith still cares about the customer
Bad news: Little Giant Pumps are as loud as vacuums or noisy restaurants "and there's nothing you can do about it" according to Franklin Electric (I'll never buy their products!)

BAD PUMP: Don\'t buy this one!
qy7400
Another water change DOH!
Geek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's messed up...a vacuum cleaner? and the site reads...

* Quiet operation and low heat exchange

they forget to add

* = When compared to NYC resident living on the 2nd floor across the street from a hospital.
freediver
Capuchin Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that and compare the h2o output vs current consumption of the little giant to a "MD"series iwaki (which never needs oiling). plus the iwaki pumps last a very long time. well worth the extra expense.
Gawain1974
Zoo Keeper / Supporter
Zoo Keeper / Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, even the biggest, loudest external pumps we have at work that run on 240 volts don't sound like a vacuum cleaner!
thrlride
Zoo Keeper
Zoo Keeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 10,000th post I'll add that I tried a little giant 4 series pump and it was as loud as my dishwasher. And when I say dishwasher, I mean an entry level dishwasher that is loud as hell. I quickly dumped those pumps on ebay.
Jamesurq
Zoo Keeper
Zoo Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run an LG pump - was old as dirt, rusty, crusty and ran forever. But yes, loud. DIdn't matter since I had it run in the garage - but wouldn't ever have it in the house...

Sucks about the CS though - you would expect companies to at least stand by their product a little bit...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
steppy
Marmoset Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your brother's pump, that sucks!

I will say that Foster and Smith has wonderful customer service. Anything wrong with a product I call them FIRST. They usually send out a replacement right away and when I ask how to ship the broken item or dead item to them they just tell me to trash it. I have been keeping the broken equipment for replacement parts , just in case!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
xinggu
Marmoset Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are professional Ring Die manufacturers and factory.We can produce high quality Pellet Die according to your requirements.More types of Pellet Mill Die wanted,please contact us right now