ReefMonkey Forum Index
PFO Solaris LED Fixture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincewon
Tamarin Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: PFO Solaris LED Fixture Reply with quote

Anyone have one of these yet and do you like it, also if have any pictures of tank could you post.Thanks
apologeticus
Macaques Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as soon as I win the lottery... well, no, even then I wouldn't buy one of these. the price is outrageous!!
vincewon
Tamarin Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the long term savings.Bulb life no yearly bulb changes and less PAR loss,no high temps no 600-800 dollar chiller and the energy cost to run,also the energy savings versus MH.Would probably pay for the extra cost in savings over the 1st yr.Bulbs, chiller, electric cost.
apologeticus
Macaques Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run a $5 clip-on fan over my sump and run T5s instead of MH for temp control, but to each his own.
Gawain1974
Zoo Keeper / Supporter
Zoo Keeper / Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one in person at IMAC--very impressive. I think LED is the definite future for reefkeepers, we just need some time for the prices to come down.

I'd love to hear from someone who's used this system for a while and hear their first-hand experiences.
littlefish72
Marmoset Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one in a trade show a few months back........super super cool........and the way you can program them for cloudy days and such was neat......but then i priced one for my 65 gallon.....18 hundred bucks.......i'll have to wait for the price to come down as well Smile
waterfaller1
Zoo Keeper / Supporter
Zoo Keeper / Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some positive results from the one we have set up at the shop, however...
Sanjay was here on saturday for a small conference. He showed graphs on the light extension away from the fixture, which is'nt much. After 12" it drops away completely, so the area it luminates is very limited. It does'nt show the PAR or PARG that MH's do. There is little to no visible shimmer, as you would have with MH's. The fixture is controlled by a computer, so the lights can be programmed to ramp up or down, and follow the lunar cycle which is cool.But we all know how computers can be sometimes. Rolling Eyes The Solaris is put together is China, so there have been some complaints about workmanship, or lack of it. There is a company in the US that is now making an LED fixture, supposedly put together better, and cheaper. Solaris is coming out with a 400 wt fixture very soon which is supposed to be better than the 250's. Solaris sells refurbished set ups for less, kind of interesting to me this means there have been numerous problems already, and they have only been out like 2 years.There is a long split thread OT about them in the lighting forum, worth a read.I do think the future holds promise for LED's, I just don't think we are there yet.