ReefMonkey Forum Index
Flat Worm Exit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloTh
GRS President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Flat Worm Exit Reply with quote

I had a horrible case of flatworms in my fuge. It was to the point that my cheato was covered completly and almost dead. Caused it to sink to the bottom and was shrivling up. So, I got me some Flatworm Exit and followed Malev's advice on dosage etc.... I have a 150g display w/ about 30g more water in the fuge. I pulled out all the cheato w/ most the FW on it, and dosed about 160 drops total. I siphoned as many dead FW as I could, and waited about an hour w/ all pumps, powerheads and my skimmer running. I then did a 40g waterchange. All seemed well. However, I have now seen that all my snails of an undetermined type are DEAD! All my tourches (sp) are alive, along w/ the turbos. However, this particular type is dead, about 100 of them. Most very small, but dead. Just fell right off the glass and rock. Everything else looks great so far. I got another batch of water mixing up in case I have to do another WC tomorrow. Not sure if those snails will foul the water or not. Not sure they are big enough. Although there are a lot. Thought about pulling them out, but I'm going to see how it goes overnight. Wish me luck.

"Only two things are infinite - the universe and the stupidity of mankind, and I'm not sure about the former."
nanospoof
Capuchin Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with everything. As for the other snails I'm guessing that they shouldn't foul up your water to much but I think a water change with fishing some of the snails out is a good idea. I'm not sure if it was the flatworm exit that killed the snails or the toxin that flatworms release when they die that did it. either way still sucks when stuff just dies off. I have used flatworm exit before and it did a great job killing the flatworms no snails died but some of my little brittle stars died.
Jamesurq
Zoo Keeper
Zoo Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you find a picture of the snails - or describe them? Were they only in the fuge - or in the main display too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SloTh
GRS President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were only in the main display. I woke up to about 20 new baby ones. They breed like crazy. The reason I had so many before. They are cerith snails. They dropped like flies. I got another 30g almost ready to go. I figure I'll let them decomposs a today and do another water change tomorrow night.

I really don't think it was from the dead FW toxins. It appeared that most of the FW were on the cheato itself w/ maybe 50 to 100 that died in the fuge. I siphoned most of them out as well. Good news is that this stuff really works well. Also, just loosing the ceriths isn't that big a deal compared to what those FW are capable of doing.

"Only two things are infinite - the universe and the stupidity of mankind, and I'm not sure about the former."