ReefMonkey Forum Index
just got done moving tank across town.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ReefMonkey Forum Index -> Seasoned Reefkeepers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marine_tibby
Orangutan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: just got done moving tank across town. Reply with quote

well i wasn't sure were to post this at so Mods go ahead and move it where it needs to go.

so, i woke up today and thought its about time to move the tank.i moved into a new house about 3 months ago, and didn't have my stand built yet. so, i decided to leave the tank untill the stand was done and when i would be certain as to how i wanted it all plumbed up. i wanted to run a closed loop with a wave machine of some sort. i finally decided on the motionsocean's device. i went with the 4-way device, if anyone is familiar with their products. and with that i started to plan the tank move sometime before thanksgiving.
we were in lowes and i went to see if they had southdown. which they didn't but they had other playsand. which was good enough for me, i checked it with the viniger trick.this was the last thing i need to plan out.
so, we moved the stand that i half way finished into the livingroom from outside. and shimmed it level and all that good stuff, and headed to the other house. we pulled all the LR out and put in summerged in water which only took up 2-5 gal buckets. took out the rest of the water. oh and i have thought that i was a running a reef only tank, with no fish. well on my last piece of LR 11lb rock, and out jumps a firefish. talk about scared the hell out of me. lol
we moved the tank with about 4 inches of sand and a half inch of water on top of that. not too heavy. lol drove across town about a 10 minute drive. when we got there the first thing we started was moving all the sand from the display into the 10gal refuge, and replacing all the sand in the display with the sand from lowe's. put in half the water and started adding LR blind with the HUGE sand storm. went on the the next step of plumping up the tank, oh yeah i forgot to get the PVC. so, we headed back to lowe's picked up 15 of everything, 90*s, T's, ball valves, unions, sleves, and about 15 ft of PVC. got home and had the mag7 plumbed up in a matter of 5 minutes. (felt like i was back at work) i went with a T to split the flow up in to two outlets might decide to go to four.
put the skimmer in the 10 gal sump, and got all the sump and refuge hooked up and finished adding the rest of the water. if i ever have to do it again i will double my water. i had just enough water to the drop, kinda scary feeling. turned the lights on and started to wait.
once the water settles down i will begin to start the aquascaping. the closed loop is not hooked up yet because i am waiting on the oceansmotions to come in. once that is done it will all be done except the hood and lights. i know none of this is good with out pics so i will start taking picture tonight but wont post any tonight because i am pretty tired. just thought i would start this thread so when i up load the pics i don't have to do that and write this all in one sesion at teh comp. anyways off to bed it took a total of 11 hours. and it was only a 25 gal. i couldn't imagine a 180 or 250gal. more power to you guys that have takin that on. well untill i get the picks i am done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tecofish
Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Tibby, glad things went smoothly. Now the fun starts Smile .
ccuda6
Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the fun or the pricey part... stocking it
Gawain1974
Zoo Keeper / Supporter
Zoo Keeper / Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the move went smoothly. I've moved my tank twice...six hours each way. Not something I care to repeat in the near future. A total PITA.
waterfaller1
Zoo Keeper / Supporter
Zoo Keeper / Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad everything went well. I am about to do mine this weekend. I am going to get a few friends to help which should calm my nerves...a little. Smile
marine_tibby
Orangutan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it was just me and my girl. no big problems arrose but it is only a 25gal. i'll post a few pics later on of the sand storm. my camera is acting funny and wont focus correctly so i have to get that figured out before any other pics come
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TimmyG
Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a tank move. I'm glad it went well.
marine_tibby
Orangutan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, as someof you might know my camera kicked the bucket the night we moved the tank so pics are very limited about the move. i was able to get one pic off the camera of the move, and a pic i took tonight with a friends camera real quick. as an update i lost all softies in the tank. all i have left is a few polyps and what i thought was Zoos but i think they might be Palys. anyways to the pics

they are both kinda crapy pics but at least it can hold you over untill i get my new camera for Christmas which i plan on posting actual vids if the mods let me.
Hoggn
Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lost... I have to move my 75 to the basement and then back upstairs to my 180. That should be fun...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ReefMonkey Forum Index -> Seasoned Reefkeepers